Appreciatons...

Hey everyone, Allie is back!
I started my volunteering work at the local psych hospital on Friday, working in the ECT suite (electro-convulsive therapy- used to treat severe depression in some cases).  I was there to chat to the patients (Who were really nice) and make them tea, coffee and toast after their treatment (the treatment involves a general anasthetic [sp?] so they can't eat beforehand).  It was nice to hear their stories and have a chance to tell my stories of my own recovery, relapse, recovery, relapse, recovery... (notice I ended on 'recovery' there, I don't want to relapse ever again).  What was a bit weird was talking to the patients before their treatment and then after.  ECT can make your memory go a bit fuzzy and it was strange to see people who had appeared so alert and ok before the treatment struggling to remember what day it was afterwards.  But at the end of my 4 hour shift, the head nurse said that they had appreciated the time I had given and I made a difference.  So I appreciate that I was given the opportunity to make a difference.


I also appreciate how much my fiancĂ© does for me, even without realising it.  He argues with me all the time, if I say I'm fat, he says I'm beautiful, if I say I'm useless, he points out the ways in which I'm not.  I don't know if he ever reads my blog but if he does cast his eye over it, I want him to know that I really love him and he has such a big place in my heart.


I appreciate my friends, both friends I have a real world relationship with and those who I talk to on the internet sometimes.  I would be nothing without you, thank you for not giving up on me.


I appreciate the fact that my mum has a smile for me everytime I go and see her, despite the fact that she suffered a stroke and her recovery hasn't been as good as was expected.  When I visit her, she is often in a low mood, hanging her head, but as soon as she sees me, her face lights up and I know that even though I may never hear her tell me that she loves me, I know she does.


Food wise - 3 days binge free and counting.  Things are starting to come together :)


If you're reading this, thank you, I appreciate that too.
x Allie

0 comments:

Post a Comment